Advocate for climate justice
Join the United Nations Climate Change COP 27 in Egypt as part of an in-person delegation
Application Deadline: July 31, 2022
Travel dates: 10 days between November 5-20, 2022.
For the Love of Creation (FLC), a faith-based initiative for climate justice, and KAIROS, an inter-denominational justice organization, are co-sponsoring an in-person delegation to the largest global gathering on climate change this year, the 27th Conference of the Parties (COP 27) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. COP 27 will be held during November in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt. These annual meetings are where governments around the world come together to negotiate and pledge their contributions to climate work. Delegates will be observers, will meet with government officials, and will participate at parallel church and civil society events that happen alongside the official events. This includes communication with people in Canada before, during and after COP 27. Accreditation as official observers at government events will be available to some delegates through the The United Church of Canada.
For the Love of Creation seeks youth (18-30) and Indigenous delegates for this delegation, in keeping with our guiding principles. People of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Two delegates from Canada will join KAIROS partner delegates from the Global South. Partners will use English, French and Spanish to communicate in the delegation; ability in more than one of these languages will be beneficial.
Goals of the delegation
- act in solidarity with those most affected by climate change, particularly partners in the global South and Indigenous peoples;
- provide a forum for youth, Indigenous peoples and global partners’ climate leadership at the international level, especially women justice seekers and peacebuilders;
- prioritize the voices of women-led organizations, particularly from Africa, drawing attention to the ways that colonization, conflict, the climate crisis, resource extraction and gender-based violence intersect, and the critical role women play in seeking justice and peace;
- engage Canadian faith communities in the work of climate justice by sharing experiences from COP27.
This is an open call for two candidates to join the in-person delegation in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt.
Delegates should be prepared to:
- Participate in pre-COP27 orientation and public engagement sessions online (Sept – Oct 2022) and travel in-person to Egypt (10 days in November 2022)
- Advocate for For the Love of Creation (FLC) policy objectives at COP27 sessions to government officials, to media and at community events where possible
- Communicate with everyone connected to the For the Love of Creation Initiative via social media and other means to encourage people to engage in climate justice and COP27.
- Provide leadership to For the Love of Creation campaigns and KAIROS’s education efforts to further the goals of the delegation (see above).
- Cultural understanding and traditional knowledge of the impacts of climate change at the local community level is an asset.
- Conviction that the global climate emergency is a moral and spiritual issue that requires urgent and decisive action by governments, companies, faith groups, and communities.
- Knowledge and experience in climate advocacy.
- Compelling communication skills: ability to share experiences during COP on social media, speak in public, and write short reflections about COP27.
- Knowledge of and readiness to learn more about FLC and KAIROS climate policies and the values that motivate people of faith in the struggle for climate justice.
- Willingness to join group efforts to relate and express these values in climate justice advocacy with members of Canada’s political delegation.
- Flexible, team-oriented, creative, hard-working.
Apply using this online application form by July 31.
The delegation will include people from KAIROS’ global partnerships, Indigenous KAIROS Blanket Exercise facilitators, and up to two additional candidates to be selected by this application process. Indigenous youth and youth from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Delegation organization will be coordinated by KAIROS, with oversight by Rachel Warden, Manager of Global Programs.
Questions can be directed to:
Randy Haluza-Delay, For the Love of Creation convenor and KAIROS Ecological Justice Coordinator or
Radia Mbengue, KAIROS Global Partnerships Coordinator: Africa and Climate JusticeTags: Advocacy, COP, COP27